Dealing with the Thomas Cook collapse

As thousands of holidaymakers are trying to find their way back home, here’s how we can help

By Mihnea on September 22, 2019

Dealing with the Thomas Cook collapse

What happened?

Thomas Cook, the 178-year-old tour operator, has collapsed, leaving hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers stranded abroad.

What can I do?

If you've booked your holiday from the UK, you should be protected by the Civil Aviation Authority’s ATOL scheme (which stands for Air Travel Organiser’s Licence). This should support you if you're currently abroad, and reimburse the cost of replacing parts of your ATOL protected holiday.

Can Monese help if I'm already abroad?

We appreciate that anyone already abroad may face some unexpected expenses as they try to get home.

If you’re caught up in this, we realise these days can be incredibly difficult and stressful for you. The last thing you want to deal with is unplanned costs like ATM withdrawal fees and costs on foreign currency card spending.

So if you’re a Monese customer and you’re affected by this, email us at with proof of travel (like a booking confirmation email or boarding pass from Thomas Cook), and we’ll upgrade you to Monese Premium for a month, for free, which will give you unlimited allowances and zero fees on any ATM withdrawals, foreign currency card spend and much more.

Email us

What about a future booking?

If you’ve got any future flight bookings with Thomas Cook, that are now cancelled and not ATOL protected, you may still be able to make a claim via Monese – we can request a chargeback on your behalf. Just email us at so we can investigate this for you.

Where can I find more information?

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has also set up an official support page for more information, which you can find here.

We wish everyone out there a safe and speedy return, and our support team is on standby if you have any further questions.

Share article

Latest articles

HSBC Ventures invests $35m in Monese

New strategic partnership has been announced between Monese and HSBC.

Monese accounts for displaced Ukrainians

For displaced Ukrainians who need a local account in the EEA or UK to send or receive payments, we’re offering EUR and GBP accounts with no fees.

We’ve acquired financial services provider Trezeo

We’re excited to announce our acquisition of Trezeo, the award-winning Dublin and London-based specialist financial services provider for the self-employed.