Smart tips to save you money when you travel
Finally heading abroad? Make sure you follow these tips
Melissa catre May 6, 2021
One in four of us have been setting money aside for a holiday this year, according to our survey in January 2021.* If you’ve been saving for that dream trip, then you’ll no doubt be particularly delighted that you can finally head abroad again as countries open back up.
You’ve probably already got a destination in mind, but before you jet off, we recommend you take a look at our smart travel tips to save you money, make budgeting for your holiday easier and help you keep your Monese account safe while you’re away.
Whether for airline tickets, accomodation or car rentals, keep these tips in mind when making your travel reservations:
- Departing on a Tuesday or Wednesday is often the cheapest day to fly.
- Look for flights departing late at night or early in the morning as these usually cost much less.
- Adding a layover can drastically reduce the price of your ticket compared to flying direct — but take note of any Covid-related restrictions or requirements in the country you’re connecting through.
- Join hotel loyalty programs to save money in the long run by getting free hotel stays and extra perks reserved exclusively for members.
- If you need transport, booking a hire car as part of an airplane and hotel package can save you money, so explore and test out different options before proceeding with a reservation.
- Make sure you’re reserving from the official website of the hotel, airline, train or rental car agency to avoid falling for any scams or paying extra for markups.
- Avoid super low, cheap prices with stiff cancellation policies. With the ever-changing travel restrictions and requirements, it’s better to opt for a flexible cancellation policy even if it means paying a little bit more.
- Read the fine print and understand the terms and conditions and cancellation policies before booking.
- Dial up the security when booking flights and accommodation online with 3D Secure and link your Monese card to Apple Pay or Google Pay for encryption and protection when checking out.
Before you travel
Here’s what you’ll want to do right before you're ready to go:
- Make sure your Monese card is loaded and ready to go! Choose the best way to add money to your account or top up your account with cash at more than 84,000 payment point locations across the UK and Europe with Post Office, PayPoint or Paysafecash.
- Plan and set aside your travel budget before you take off, so you don’t accidentally overspend.
- Review your plan and allowances — if you think you’ll need a little extra for your trip, upgrade your plan as we’ll never tie you to anything and you’re free to downgrade at any time.
- Set up instant notifications in your app so you’ll be able to know exactly what you’re spending while on holiday, and how much you have left.
While on holiday
Here’s how to save with Monese while you’re on holiday:
- Pay in the local currency or travel with your Monese card instead for better exchange rates and worldwide ATM withdrawals with fee-free allowances.
- Pay contactless and with your phone by linking your Monese card to Apple Pay or Google Pay to pay in-store anywhere in the world where the contactless symbol is displayed.
- Keep your money and account secure while on holiday by locking and unlocking your card straight from your app.
When you get back
To wrap up your trip, here are the important steps you’ll want to take once you’ve made it home:
- Check your transactions upon your return to make sure there aren’t any double charges, missing refund credits or spending that you didn’t authorise.
- Take time to look over your outgoings with our Spending Overview feature to give you a clear understanding of how much you spent while abroad and help you better prepare for your next trip away with a more informed, organised budget.
- Easily request payments right from your app from fellow travellers who owe you money from your holiday.
- Start planning your next trip with pots as they’re a designated place to hold your new travel fund and keep this money separate from day-to-day spending.
But the number one tip we could give you is don’t forget to pack Monese! Aside from all the reasons listed above, once you’re back from your holiday, you can carry on using your Monese card as you normally would and not have to worry about annoying coins left over at the end of your trip.
*Methodology Survey of 1,000 UK adults completed in January 2021.
Pregătirea pentru viața de nomad digital
Vrei să călătorești prin lume, să lucrezi oriunde și oricând vrei? Viața de nomad digital îți oferă libertatea de a lucra de oriunde în lume, fie că este o cafenea draguță din Paris sau o plajă din Bali. Este oportunitatea ta să-ți iei rămas bun de la monotonia din birou și să îmbrățișezi un program flexibil, să explorezi locuri noi și să-ți câștigi existența – toate în același timp! Dar înainte de a te îndrepta spre noua ta viață, am adunat câțiva pași cruciali care te vor ajuta să-ți urmezi visul de a deveni nomad digital.
Top 6 locuri din Europa pentru nomazi digitali
La Monese, ne propunem să îmbrățișăm libertatea care vine cu un stil de viață independent de locație. Iar pentru cei dintre noi care lucrează de la distanță, a fi nomad digital înseamnă a avea flexibilitatea de a lucra de oriunde ne dorim. Așadar, am adunat primele 6 locuri pentru nomazii digitali din Europa, care nu sunt doar frumoase, dar oferă și toate facilitățile și infrastructura de care au nevoie nomazii digitali.
Places around the world offering remote worker visas
Pack your bags, passport, laptop and beach sandals — check out all the places you can move to and work from.